The Primary Ones from Sacred Heart had some festive fun at Girvan Library this week. They enjoyed listening to Christmas stories, before creating and decorating their very own Christmas Lanterns. They had such a good time they can hardly wait for their next visit to the library in the New Year.
Come down to Prestwick Library and check out our lovely, fresh, new look. We have six new computers, a new carpet and funky new shelving giving the library a much more modern feel. No to mention the great selection of new books and films suitable for the whole family to enjoy over the festive break. So if you’re out and about shopping in town and would like to escape the crowds, drop-in to see us we’re just off Prestwick Main Street.
The Scottish Government’s white paper on independence is now available to view in all South Ayrshire Libraries.
- Download online in PDF, HTML and in the eBook formats ePub and Mobi at www.scotreferendum.com
- Download from South Ayrshire Libraries eRead website
If you require a printed copy of the publication posted to you, please contact 0300 012 1809 or you can order a copy online.
A huge big Bookbug hug to all the babies, toddlers and adults who joined us at The Citadel for Merry Bookbug. You were amazing. Bookbug was thrilled so many of you managed along – 132 children and over 100 adults. We have posted just a few of our photos but promise you can see them all at Bookbug Sessions in January. If you spot a photo of your child and want it emailed to you let us know.
Journey through Middle-earth, a Chrome Experiment
You don’t need to be besties with a Wizard to share an adventure in Middle-earth—just point your browser to “Journey through Middle-earth,”on your laptop, phone or tablet to check out the latest Google Chrome Experiment. Inspired by the upcoming motion picture “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” “Journey through Middle-earth” brings the locations and characters from the movie trilogy (and books!) to life with a mix of modern web technologies.
Your adventure starts on a beautiful, interactive map of Middle-earth. Zoom in to explore Trollshaw Forest, Rivendell and Dol Guldur (with more locations to come in the next few weeks). Click on each one to learn its history and meet the characters who inhabit it, or dive further to test your wits on a unique survival challenge.
Don’t forget to turn the sound on your device and watch out for the trolls! Adventure is a click away.
Rickety, rickety pirate ship
Over the seas we go
Rickety, rickety pirate ship
Yo ho ho!
Pirate Bookbug and his crew had a rollicking time celebrating Book Week Scotland at a special piratical Bookbug Session. The crew swabbed the decks, walked the plank and shouted ahoy before they swarmed over to the craft tables to decorate their cutlasses and make their pirate masks. We read ‘A New Home for a Pirate‘ by Ronda Armitage and Holly Swain and every child was given their own copy to take home and share.
You can join in the fun and learn our pirate rhymes and songs by downloading Bookbug’s Pirate Rhyme booklet.
As widely reported, Adobe confirmed that they suffered a security breach of customer data on their servers. The company has confirmed to our eBook provider OverDrive, that library users with activated Adobe eBook accounts may have been affected. Here is information that they have provided.
- Adobe is in the process of resetting passwords and notifying affected users. Affected users will receive an email alert advising them to reset their Adobe password in order to continue access to their Adobe account. For security purposes and as a recommended practice, Adobe is encouraging affected users to reset their Adobe passwords as well as reset passwords for any non-Adobe services/applications (in case they used the same user ID and password as was used with Adobe).
- Reactivation of previously authorized eBook software and apps using Adobe DRM (Adobe Digital Editions and OverDrive Media Console) is NOT required in order to maintain access to Adobe eBooks or to download new ones, even if users have since changed the password on their Adobe ID.
- New activations of ADE and OMC will not be possible until users have reset their password with Adobe. This is because Adobe has reset everyone’s existing password.
- OverDrive users can choose to de-authorize ADE or OMC on their devices and re-authorize with their new password; however, that is not necessary or recommended.
- Users who have changed their Adobe password and wish to also update their passwords through OverDrive should do so. Changing passwords periodically and using different passwords for different accounts are good security practices.
- OverDrive do not store emails or passwords for Adobe ID on OMC. They do store emails and passwords for those that registered an OverDrive ONE account. Users can change and reset their OverDrive ONE password by either using the “Forgot password” link or by using the “Settings” panel. Users who have registered for OverDrive ONE using their Facebook account will have to re-authenticate OverDrive ONE in OMC if they have also updated their Facebook email or password.
More details about this security breach is available from Adobe’s blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/10/important-customer-security-announcement.html
If any of our customers have any questions or problems accessing our eBook service please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This edition also takes a look at Danny Mena, the chef who is making ‘the tastiest tacos you’ve ever had’ and Becky G, Dr. Luke’s latest protégée: a 16 year old Mexican-American rapper who’s huge on YouTube.
Other features include: Ringo Starr’s life in photos, how Norman Reedus became the breakout star of Walking Dead, why the geeky sisters of Haim are this year’s coolest new band and a review of Eminem’s grown up sequel to The Marshall Mathers LP. Download now
Have you tried our Free eMagazine Service?
Zinio eMagazine service, the world’s largest newstand is available for South Ayrshire Library members. Enjoy full digital copies of your favourite magazines for free on any mobile device, PC or Mac.
Zinio magazines may be read on a wide variety of apps available for many mobile devices. Click on the device that best suits your needs to download your free app now: PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Blackberry Playbook or visit Zinio’s Mobile Apps.
On 22 Nov 1963 the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas, Texas, shocked the world. Fifty years on the event still inspires novelists and conspiracy theorists. Here are just some of the titles about JFK and his assassination that we have in stock:
- Killing Kennedy : the end of Camelot by Bill O’Reilly, Martin Dugard
- Who killed Kennedy? : The definitive account of fifty years of conspiracy by Matthew Smith
- 11.22.63 by Stephen King
- A spy like no other : The Cuban Missile Crisis and the KGB links to the Kennedy Assassination by Robert Holmes
- The Kennedy conspiracy by Michael White
- Once upon a secret by Mimi Alford; With Judith Newman
- Target Lancer by Max Allan Collins
An excellent resource for those wanting to find out more - The National Archives’ digital archive of Kennedy Assassination artifacts includes amazing finds like Lee Harvey Oswald’s rifle and handwritten and typed transcripts from interviews conducted over the days, weeks, months and years following the assassination.
On November 23, 1963, the BBC introduced the world to The Doctor. Eleven incarnations, dozens of companions, one K-9, and countless TARDIS rides later, Doctor Who has become a worldwide cultural phenomenon.
This Saturday the BBC will air the 50th Anniversary special titled The Day of the Doctor, this highly anticipated episode will be broadcast simultaneously in over 75 countries spanning six continents.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library. Books! The best weapons in the world!”
- The Tenth Doctor
- First Doctor: William Hartnell Salvation by Steve Lyons
- Second Doctor: Patrick Troughton Dreams of Empire by Justin Richards
- Third Doctor: Jon Pertwee Island of Death by Barry Letts
- Fourth Doctor: Tom Baker Tomb of Valdemar by Simon Messingham
- Fifth Doctor: Peter Davison Castrovalva by Christopher H Bidmead
- Sixth Doctor: Colin Baker Vengeance on Varos by Philip Martin
- Seventh Doctor: Sylvester McCoy Dragonfire by Ian Briggs
- Eighth Doctor: Paul McGann Trading Futures by Lance Parkin
- Ninth Doctor: Christopher Eccleston The Stealers of Dreams by Steve Lyons
- Tenth Doctor: David Tennant Snowglobe 7 by Mike Tucker
- Eleventh Doctor: Matt Smith Dark Horizons by Jenny T Colgan